Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Another reason to admire Christopher Hitchens

This from the conclusion of Christopher Hitchens' recent article in the City Journal on the threat to Western Civilization from Islam:

When I read Sam Harris’s irresponsible remark that only fascists seemed to have the right line, I murmured to myself: “Not while I’m alive, they won’t.” Nor do I wish to concede that Serbo-fascist ethnic cleansing can appear more rational in retrospect than it did at the time. The Islamist threat itself may be crude, but this is an intricate cultural and political challenge that will absorb all of our energies for the rest of our lives: we are all responsible for doing our utmost as citizens as well as for demanding more imagination from our leaders.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Christopher, have you read Chapter 6 of Letter to an Atheist already ?

No comments: