Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Walter Mitty tries his hand in goal


I've coached and refereed girl's lacrosse for four years.

Having never played the game, I thought it might be a good idea to try my hand at it.

There's a men's summer lacrosse league here in Nashville, comprised mostly of recent high school and college graduates, and a few very over the hill guys.

This particular over the hill guy, having assessed his speed as a field player, will don the goalie pads (not much running in that position) this coming Monday night. I will try to haul in the 80 to 90 mile per hour hard rubber lacrosse balls that much younger, much more experienced players will be launching goalward in my general direction.

I approach the first of twelve summer games with both anticipation and trepidation.

A goalie has two main responsibilities:

1. Stop the ball from getting in the goal.

2. Clear the ball after stopping it to a teammate who can advance it up the field.

I'm pretty sure I can clear the ball, but have no idea how well I will be able to stop the ball.

I'm hoping to get at least one save Monday night ! And I also hope to return to work on Tuesday morning with the same number of teeth that I had on Monday afternoon !

No comments: