Saturday, November 01, 2008
October 31, 2008 State of Hawaii Director of Health Department Statement Raises More Questions About Barack Obama Birth Certificate
The more I look into the statement apparently released to a small group of selected news agencies yesterday, October 31, 2008, by the State of Hawaii Director of Health Department Dr. Chiyome Fukino, the curiouser and curiouser it becomes.
1. I have been unable to discover the actual statement released by Dr. Fukino anywhere on the web.
It's not listed on the State of Hawaii Department of Health website:
http://healthuser.hawaii.gov/health/about/pr/pressdate.html which shows the most recent press release as being issued October 22, 2008.
Current Year 2008 News Releases
The following is a listing of press releases issued by the Department of Health's Communications Office during the current year. Earlier releases can be found in a separate master listing. For more information DOH press releases or other communication matters, call 586-4442.
October 22, 2008 DOH CITES COMPANIES FOR AIR POLLUTION VIOLATIONS
October 22, 2008 HAWAI'I RECEIVES $1.5 MILLION FOR YOUTH SUICIDE PREVENTION
2. The statement was released to only three sources, apparently: The Associated Press, Pacific Business News Service, and a local Hawaii television station.
3. I cannot determine if an actual press conference was held, or if a statement was merely released.
4. The statement was released on "election eve Friday" on a day when the Department of Health was apparently closed. (They moved to a trial 4 day work week earlier this month). It has the feel to me of the last act in a carefully staged political passion play designed to create the impression that a long form original birth certificate from 1961 signed by an attending physician at a Honolulu hospital exists in the vault of the State of Hawaii Department of Health. Maybe it does. But this statement by Dr. Fukino does not say that.
Take a close look at her actual words, as quoted in the AP, Pacific Business News, and the local Hawaii television station:
"Therefore, I as Director of Health for the State of Hawai'i, along with the Registrar of Vital Statistics who has statutory authority to oversee and maintain these type of vital records, have personally seen and verified that the Hawai'i State Department of Health has Sen. Obama's original birth certificate on record in accordance with state policies and procedures."
I have attached below the transcript from the on air report at Honolulu television station (KGMB, Channel 9) that reported this story yesterday:
Hawaii's top health official is trying to stop a rumor about Barack Obama that says he was born in Kenya and therefore isn't allowed to run for President.
That claim has been spreading online but Hawaii officials say it's not true.
Obama was born in Honolulu and the proof is at the state Health Department.
To end the controversy, director Dr. Chiyome Fukino says she's seen the birth certificate herself. She just can't release it publicly.
After getting numerous requests for it, she explained again Friday, "state law prohibits the release of a certified birth certificate to persons who do not have a tangible interest in the vital record."
No state official, including Gov. Linda Lingle, has ever instructed that this vital record be handled in a manner different from any other vital record in the possession of the state.
If the only source for this on-air report is the statement I've seen from Dr. Fukino, it's yet another example of misleading reporting. The report says Dr. Fukino personally saw the birth certificate, but that's not what the statement says.
I would like to see a videotape of Dr. Fukino making that exact statement. I would like her to hold a press conference answering ALL the questions that her carefully parsed October 31 statement raises.
5. I cannot determine if the statement released was approved by the Governor of Hawaii and the Attorney General of Hawaii, or if it was released independently by Dr. Fukino.
6. Dr. Fukino does not state in her October 31, 2008 statement that she personally viewed an actual physical copy of the long form original birth certificate from 1961 signed by the attending physician at a Honolulu hospital.
7. In the AP report of her statement, Dr. Fukino says the State of Hawaii has the original birth certificate on record in accordance with state policies and procedures. Since she raised the issue of state policies and procedures, I would like her to release the document describing the state's policies and procedures regarding maintaining "original birth certificates on record".
8. Did Senator Obama personally authorize Dr. Fukino and Dr. Onaka to personally view his "original birth certificate on record." ? If so, when and how ?
9. Did Senator Obama personally authorize Dr. Fukino and Dr. Onaka to issue the statement of October 31, 2008 ? If so, when and how ?
10. Have Dr. Fukino and Dr. Onaka had any communication with Senator Obama or did they meet with him in person on any occasion in the last 30 days or in the last year ? If so, were those communications or meetings negotiations related to statements to be made about his birth certificate ?
I will grant the Obama apologists this however.
While the statement released by Dr. Fukino does not prove with absolute certainty that Barack Obama was born in Hawaii, and therefore is natural born and eligible for the Presidency (which is the standard that must be met), it does increase the likelihood that he was born in Hawaii.
Or, as those of us who have been skeptical of this entire stonewalling process from the beginning will argue, it increases our suspicion that there is something about this purported original birth certificate that Barack Obama does not want to see the light of day . . . before the election, after the election, or ever.
Now that the officials of the State of Hawaii Department of Health have partially opened the door, I think it's only right and proper that they disclose everything, including the actual original birth certificate.
Most importantly, Senator Barack Obama should finally do the right thing and authorize the State of Hawaii Department of Health, the Kapioloini Medical Center in Honolulu, and Queens Medical Center in Honolulu to release ALL DOCUMENTS related to his birth.
It's time for a change all right.
It's time for Senator Obama to change his stonewalling and obstructionism on this very important issue and disclose everything necessary to prove with absolute certainty that he is, in fact, natural born, and therefore eligible to serve as President.