Saturday, November 11, 2006

No second chance to make a good first impression


I finished the 250 word query letter.

It's pretty good, if I do say so myself.

It's the 250 words I should have submitted to Ms. Vater, literary agent. But, what's done is done. No second chance submittals. Bad aspiring writer form.

I had a vision of the e-mail I anticipate receiving from her some time:

Dear nitwit:

What part of 250 words MAXIMUM do you not understand ?

Sincerely,
RV
Fabulous literary agent who will never represent you


Just for sport, blog readers are invited to submit comments on their version of RV's response to my previous submission. A prize of garlands for the submission that comes closest to the actual response !

2 days and counting.

If you would like to see the 250 page query letter that is pretty good, if I do say so myself, email me at mike@michaelpatrickleahy.com.

2 days 14 hours and counting.

5 comments:

Michael Patrick Leahy said...

Chikashi,

I think it unlikely you will win the RV garland.

You could, however, share the spiderbot you used to find this site !

Anonymous said...

Dear Mike,
You had me had, "Fort Desperate follows the lives of three men and their wives from 1846 to 1863. The men are central players in the Civil War campaign to control New Orleans and the Mississippi River Valley."
A query letter that is short, sweet and compelling is just as good as Jerry McQuire's , "Hello." Which, I feel compelled to point out, is ONE WORD. Just think what you might do with 250 of them!
Sincerely,
The agent that could have been yours,
Ms. Vater

Michael Patrick Leahy said...

Anonymous,

Excellent.

Clearly the front runner for the RV garland.

Can anyone beat this one ?

Anonymous said...

Dear Mike,
As the author of the aforementioned post, which you deemed "excellent" and a front runner for the RV garland, I have a small request.

How about giving me an RV instead of a garland?
Sincerely,
Ms. Vater (aka Karen H.)

Michael Patrick Leahy said...

Karen:

Oh dear.

A writer with an actual asset to distribute ? Isn't that against the writer rulebook ? To have assets and wealth ?

Tell you what I can do. I can help you put a really great query letter together when you are actually ready to submit your own inquiry to the real RV, fabulous literary agent.